Sweet & Spicy Gochujang Sauce
Gochujang (Korean: 고추장, Hanja: 苦椒醬) is a mildly spicy and sweet Korean chili paste that can be found in most Asian markets. This recipe will make enough sauce to coat about two pounds of chicken wings, but you may want to double this recipe if you plan on cooking more fried chicken or to make extra sauce for dipping. Makes about 1/2 cup of sauce.
- 1/4 cup gochujang (see above)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
Combine gochujang, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, garlic, ginger, and sesame oil in a large bowl and whisk to combine. As gochujang can vary in its thickness, you may need to add up to 2 tablespoons water until sauce is just barely thin the sauce enough so that drips off a spoon with inverted. Serve with Korean Fried Chicken.
last updated August 17, 2023