These cucumbers make a great appetizer or accompaniment to a larger Chinese meal. If you like spicy food like I do, you may consider adding a few extra sliced red chilies to give this relish a little extra kick.
This dish keeps for up to 3 or 4 days in the refrigerator.
- 450 g. cucumber (about one large seedless or English hothouse)
- 15 slices garlic
- 1 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon hot bean paste
- 1 tablespoon red chili oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon Chinkiang vinegar (Chinese black vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Cut off and discard both tips of cucumber, then cut into diagonal or triangular shapes. Mix with salt and soak for 1-2 hours.
- Rinse the cucumber under water, and squeeze out salty water. Put cucumber back into bowl.
- Add the garlic slices, Sichuan peppercorns, and other seasonings. Mix well and let sit for 2-3 hours to allow all the flavors to come together.
last updated August 17, 2023