Nothing beats fresh homemade blueberry muffins for a special breakfast treat. For extra flavorful muffins, swap out buttermilk in place of the regular milk for a little extra tanginess, and add some lemon zest for a subtle hint of citrus to bring out the flavor of the berries.
• ½ cup softened butter
• 1 ¼ cups sugar
• 2 eggs
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 2 cups flour
• ½ teaspoon salt
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• ½ cup milk
• 2 cups blueberries, washed, drained and picked over
• 3 teaspoons sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Cream the butter and 1 1/4 cups sugar until light.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla.
- Sift together the flour, salt and baking powder, and add to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk.
- Crush 1/2 cup blueberries with a fork, and mix into the batter. Fold in the remaining whole berries.
- Line a 12 cup standard muffin tin with cupcake liners, and fill with batter. Sprinkle the 3 teaspoons sugar over the tops of the muffins, and bake at 375 degrees for about 30-35 minutes.
- Remove muffins from tin and cool at least 30 minutes. Store, uncovered, or the muffins will be too moist the second day, if they last that long.
last updated August 17, 2023