This flavorful mojito-inspired marinade is fast and easy to make, and is particularly good on shrimp (as shown), firm white-fleshed fish (such as mahi mahi), and chicken. If you want to (and you have some on hand) you can substitute mint simple syrup for the honey or agave syrup to give the marinade a stronger mint flavor.
- 2 shallots, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- ¼ cup fresh mint
- ¼ cup rum
- ½ cup lime juice (preferably fresh squeezed)
- zest of one lime
- 3 tablespoons honey or agave syrup
- 2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon salt (preferably kosher or sea salt)
Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor, and pulse until shallots are finely chopped and ingredients are well-combined. Pour marinade into a shallow baking dish or 1-gallon sealable bag to marinate 1-2 pounds of your protein of choice.
last updated August 17, 2023