This stir-fry is fast and easy to make- and easy on your wallet too. Cabbage is so inexpensive, filling, and healthy, but people don’t always know how to prepare it in a way that actually tastes, well…good. If you’re one of those people, give this recipe a try- this dish is savory, tangy, and spicy all at the same time, and sure to become a new favorite.
- 2 tablespoons oil (use a neutral flavored oil with a high smoke point, such as peanut)
- 6 oz. pork belly (our recommendation), pork loin, or chicken, thinly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, smashed and cut in half
- 5 dried red chilies, deseeded and very roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 lb. cabbage, hand-shredded into bite sized pieces, washed, and thoroughly dried (in a salad spinner, if you have it, or with a kitchen towel)
- 2 teaspoons Shaoxing wine (紹興酒)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar (I recommend brown sugar for more depth of flavor)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese black vinegar (Zhenjiang or Chinkiang vinegar, 镇江香醋)
- 2 scallions, cut into 2-inch lengths
- In a wok over high heat, add the oil. Sear the meat until caramelized. Add the garlic and chili, turn down the heat to medium, and stir-fry for a minute, taking care not to burn the garlic.
- Add the cabbage, wine, soy sauce, sugar, and water. Turn up the heat to high, cover the lid and let the cabbage cook for 1-2 minutes. Uncover the lid, and stir in the dark vinegar, scallions, and salt to taste. The cabbage should be wilted, but still slightly crunchy and caramelized. Serve hot with steamed rice.
last updated August 17, 2023